Photo Video Lounge is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Apple’s iPhones are undeniably the most sought after phones due to a lot of reasons. For starters, its camera alone is already a real deal. iPhone cameras let you take amazing photos given how powerful and advanced it is. But, have you ever noticed how your photos are reversed every time you take a picture using your front camera? Why does this happen?
In this article, we are going to share why iPhone reverses your photos, how can you take images using the front cam without flipping the image, how to unflip your images, and many more.
Why the Picture Gets Flipped
What you actually see every time you use your iPhone’s front camera is a mirror image. This is because the iPhone’s camera is trying to portray the image that is reflected every time you look into the mirror. You are used to the image that you see in a mirror, thus iPhone’s camera is designed to exactly show that. However, the photo is unflipped once you click the capture button. Thus, the photo saved in your Photos app exactly displays how you look while taking the picture.
How to flip or unflip photos in your iPhone
Directly flipping your images on your iPhone camera is impossible but you don’t have to worry about this. You can use third-party apps to unflip your image. Some of these apps are the following:
1. Use Cut Paste Photos Pro
Let’s be honest… You don’t always need to open Google Docs. You just need a pen to write something. That’s why if you don’t really do complicated edits, use Cut Paste first, instead of fumbling around with Photoshop.
Cut Paste Photos Pro is the best free app for quickly flipping your photos. Besides that, you can also resize your photos, change their shape, and cut them using your hand on Cut Paste. It’s a no-nonsense tool you’d keep for long if you want a reliable tool for basic edits.
Download Cut Paste Photos Pro if you’re an iOS user. If you’re an Android user, we suggest you work with zShot, which is another great app by Mafooly Apps.
2. Use the Photo Flipper app
Photo Flipper is an exclusive app for Apple users. You can download it for free from the App Store. To unflip your iPhone, follow these simple steps:
- Install and launch the app. You can check the app here: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/photo-flipper-selfie-mirror/id749627884
- Click the Camera app icon on the app. You will be asked to give permission for the app to access your iPhone’s camera. Give the app permission.
- To take a selfie, simply click on the capture button.
- Be default, the image that will be saved to your Camera Roll is the mirrored image.
Aside from allowing you to directly flip your photos while you are taking a selfie, the Photo Flipper App can also flip or unflip the existing images on your iPhone. To flip or unflip your existing images, follow these steps:
- Go to the home screen then click on the Photos app.
- Give the app permission to access your Photos.
- Choose the album and the photo that you want to flip or unflip.
- Simply swipe to the left or to the right to flip or unflip the image.
- Once your desired outcome is achieved, save the image by tapping the share icon located at the lower right side of your iPhone screen.
- Choose the Save Image option.
3. Use Photoshop Express
Photoshop Express is a free mobile app you can download on the App Store. It is best known for its capacity to make quick, easy, and powerful edits to images. You can flip or unflip your images on iPhone through these steps:
- Download and install Photoshop Express. You can download the app here.
- By default, the All Photos view will appear once you open the app. This is for you to see all existing images in your Photos app. If you want to see a different layout for your photos, you can do it by simply clicking the arrow next to All Photos and choose other photo sources.
- Click on the edit option which is located at the top of the screen.
- Choose the image that you are going to flip of unflip.
- Tap on the crop icon which you can see at the bottom part of the screen.
- Click on the Rotate option which is located right under the image.
- If you want to flip your image horizontally, then click the Flip Horizontal option. If you want to flip your image vertically, click on the Flip Vertical option.
- After flipping your image, click the Share option located at the top of your iPhone screen.
- Tap the Camera Roll option if you want to save your image in your Camera Roll. But if you want to explore the other options to which you can save your image, simply scroll down.
4. Photo Mirror Effects Camera
Photo Mirror Effects Camera is another free photo editing app you can download from the App Store. It is best known for its ability to create reflection or mirror effect on images. Here are the simple steps you can follow to flip or unflip your images:
- Download the app from the App Store.
- Open the app and tap on the plus sign to access your images in the Photos app.
- If you want to take a new photo of yourself, simply click on the camera icon at the top right corner of the screen.
- Click on the image that you want to flip or unflip, for it to open on the Photo Mirror Effects Camera app.
- Tap on the Effect options which you can see at the bottom of the screen.
- If you want to horizontally flip the image, tap the back to back triangles located at the bottom part of the screen. Click the Share icon located at the top part of the screen.
- Click on the down arrow icon in order to save your mirrored image.
Did you know…
…that the latest iOS version, iOS 13, allows you to directly flip your images in the Photos app? Yes, you don’t have to install any third-party app just to flip or unflip your images if you update your iOS to iOS 13. So, you might consider updating your operating system into iOS 13. Just make sure that it is compatible with your iPhone or else your iPhone will slow down, which is something you don’t like to happen.
So, how can you directly flip your photos on the Photos app with iOS 13? Follow these steps:
- Open your iPhone’s Photos app.
- Choose and click on the image that you want to flip.
- Tap the Edit option located at the top right corner of your iPhone’s screen.
- Choose the crop icon which you can see at the Edit screen.
- Click on the Flip Tool Button which you can see at the top left corner of your iPhone screen in order to slip your image horizontally.
- Save your image.
Taking selfies every now and then, most especially when you look good and feel good about yourself, is inevitable. The advent of social media makes it even more irresistible to snap, pose, and post your photos. That is why having a powerful camera is almost a must-have nowadays. The iPhone’s camera stands to its promise and it has a lot to offer. All you have to do is to explore all its possibilities and sure enough, you’ll capture the social media world by storm.
Have you tried flipping your images on iPhone? How did you do it? Share it with us in the comment section!
Photo Video Lounge is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc.