Photo Video Lounge is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Once you’ve got your new camera, purchasing important DSLR camera accessories comes next. From lens to tripods, camera bags, memory cards, and more, there are things to explore in the world of photography gears.
If you are new to this, you may not even know everything out there. Today, there are many camera shops—in online and physical stores— competing against each other in offering the best DSLR camera accessories to help you with your newfound hobby.
Which of them are the must-haves?
What camera accessories will help you get clearer and sharper shots? Are you choosing a tripod that is strong and sturdy enough? Does your tripod allow you to execute smooth panning movements?
All of these questions and a lot more will be answered in this article. So, go ahead and check it out!
Important DSLR Camera Accessories
Important DSLR Camera Accessories 1: Camera Bag
- Dimension:17.32 x 11.8 x 7.5 inch. 2 compartments included. Padded removable modular inserts in the...
- Full open design. 2 accessory pockets on the back face can store cables, sd cards, powerbank and...
- With waterproof hardshell protection in front. Super foam padded layer can provide best buffer and...
- Padded shoulder strap varied from 17.72 to maximum 39.4 inch can be adjusted per personal...
- This multifunctional camera bag is professionally designed for DSLR / SLR / Mirrorless cameras of...
If you own an entry-level DSLR or a mirrorless camera, a camera bag might not be a necessity. But having one is an excellent way to protect your camera from dust and rain, most especially when you always bring it with you.
Also, as you collect more DSLR camera accessories, you’ll find out how important a camera bag is. With it, carrying around everything you need when shooting is a lot easier and more convenient.
There are a lot of camera bags to choose from. These include the following:
- Shoulder Camera Bags
A shoulder camera bag is ideal when you need to get different items now and then. This is because this type of camera bag makes it very easy to access everything in your bag.
But what isn’t good about shoulder camera bags is that carrying it around for a long time can be uncomfortable since you put all the weight in just one shoulder.
- Photo Backpacks
Photo backpacks are perfect when carrying heavy loads on uneven terrains or long distances. Using it is more convenient since you’ll be distributing the load equally on both shoulders.
But the downfall of this bag is that you can’t easily access it, just like a shoulder camera bag. You’ll have to take it off first before you can access your accessories, which can slow you down for a bit.
Must Read: Top 10 Best Drones for iPhones or iPads
Important DSLR Camera Accessories 2: Tripod
A tripod is unquestionably one of the most important DSLR camera accessories that you should have. Besides, this holds a special place in your camera arsenal for keeping your DSLR camera still and exactly at the right angle to give you sharp and detailed photos.
While it might be tempting to get a cheap tripod, investing in a sturdy one that will keep your camera still in a breeze is better. Besides, getting a wobbly tripod might even damage your camera.
When choosing a tripod, look for something that can extend near your eye level, and at the same time, makes it possible to shoot close to the ground. Twist locks are more convenient to carry around, but clip locks on the legs are better for quick deployment.
Important DSLR Camera Accessories 3: Tripod Head
- 🌿 |360 Degree Swivel|: PERGEAR Ball Head Weights Only 406g/14oz, but Provides 8KG/17.6lbs Loading...
- 🌿 |More Stable|: Pergear Tripod Ball Head is with Fine Tuning Damping to Protect Your Device from...
- 🌿 |More Precise|: Both Horizontal and Vertical Bubble Level to Enhance Perception of Position....
- 🌿 |Switch Into Vertical Mode Easily|: With A U-Shaped Groove Design, You Can Easily Switch Into...
- 🌿 |Duarable Metal Body|: Superior Aluminum-Alloy Construction, CNC Precision Finishing, Anodized...
Since a tripod is a must, then it makes sense that a tripod head is needed too. If you are wondering what a tripod head is, this is the bit that goes between the tripod legs and your camera.
A tripod head is one of the most important DSLR camera accessories to have so that you can pan and tilt your camera more than simply holding it with your hands.
Many tripods are sold with a tripod head, but some are sold separately. This is a good opportunity to choose both a tripod and a tripod head that suits your needs.
Generally, ball heads are suitable for any type of photography, and setting them up is easier. But this type of tripod head is specifically designed for still life and macro photography, where you need to set up your camera at certain angles.
However, ball heads are not really a go-to when you are shooting in landscapes, wherein you have to tilt your camera up or down while keeping the horizon level in the frame. In such cases, a three-way tripod head is a better option since it allows you to move your camera around three planes individually.
Important DSLR Camera Accessories 4: Remote Release
- Compact Wireless Remote Control Shutter Release for Professional Nikon Cameras
- 16 channels in 2.4GHz frequency. Maximum range of 320 ft (100 meters).
- Bulb mode function.
- Transmitter conveniently uses AAA battery (battery not included).
- Upgraded (from Oct. 1, 2017) receiver unit features more robust pins and more flexible antenna.
Remote releases aren’t just useful when taking selfies, but they help keep lessening camera shakes when shooting in long exposures.
Even the slightest movement will make your image less sharp when shooting in long exposures. This is where a remote release is helpful since, with it, you don’t have to click the shutter button with your hands manually.
Some remote release models act as bulb timers and others as intervalometers. The bulb timers enable you to take exposures longer than 30 seconds, while intervalometers make it possible to take a series of images at specific timer intervals for a specified duration.
You can connect the remote release either via cable or wireless releases. Wireless releases are a better choice since it allows you to shoot from a longer range. With it, you aren’t connected to the camera, too, so the occurrence of unwanted camera shake is lesser.
Important DSLR Camera Accessories 5: Extra Camera Lens
- EXCEPTIONAL BUILD QUALITY: The Altura Photo 8MM metal lens construction with a hybrid aspherical...
- MANUAL FOCUS: Included removable hood allows for stunning 180° views.
- COMPATIBLE WITH: All Canon APS-C cameras; including the Rebel T8i, T7, T7i, T6s, T6i, T6, T5i, T4i,...
- CUSTOM LENS CASE: A custom designed protective lens case is included for safe storage.
- PREMIUM CUSTOMER SERVICE: Backed with DIGITAL GOJA 90-Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
There’s a high chance that your DSLR might have a standard zoom lens when you brought it. Standard zoom lenses usually have a focal length range of around 14-42mm on Micro Four Thirds, 18-55mm on an APS-C format camera, and 24-105mm on a full-frame model.
If you are a beginner, then these specifications are a good starting point. But as you progress into your career or new found hobby, you will need something that is more powerful, most especially when shooting interiors or landscapes.
There are different types of camera lenses for different uses. You use a telephoto lens when framing action subjects tightly. On the other hand, you can use a macro lens when taking close up shots. Lastly, if you want to limit field depth and blur backgrounds, a portrait lens is what you need.
Important DSLR Camera Accessories 6: Filters
- Kit includes: (Square Full Color Filter of Blue,Orange,Brown,Pink,Red,Green,Yellow,Purple + Square...
- Fits with 9pcs square filter ring and holder( 49mm 52mm 55mm 58mm 62mm 67mm 72mm 77mm 82mm), you...
- Control light and colour directly on your raw images at the time of shooting.
- Keep the quality of your images without excessive post production work.
- Metal sealing ring instead of the plastic sealing ring,better tightness.avoids fall or loose.
Filters are incredibly helpful when shooting in different situations, making it one of the most important DSLR cameras to have.
For example, neutral density filters allow you to take long exposure shots in daylight since it blurs cloud or water movement in landscapes. This filter also allows you to shoot with a very wide aperture in broad daylight.
On the other hand, graduated neutral density filters balance the exposure of a bright sky with a darker foreground. When trying to reduce reflections and boost contrast and saturation, a polarizing filter is what you need.
There are two types of filters – round and square (sometimes, rectangle). Square filters are the ones that are mounted on the end of the lens, while round filters are screwed into the filter thread on the front of the lens.
Round filters come in specific sizes and are easier to use. Alternately, square filters can be used in different lenses using adaptor rings.
Important DSLR Camera Accessories 7: Lens and Sensor Cleaners
- Package includes 12pcs 24mm Swabs for Full-Frame Sensors AND 15ml Sensor Cleaner
- Every sensor cleaning swab is made in a Class 100 Clean-Room and sealed in a vacuum package
- Super soft and flexible swab head spreads pressure evenly across the sensor
- The sensor cleaner is made from ultrapure water, clean sensors without leaving streaks or blemishes
- The non-aggressive formulated sensor cleaner is ideal for cleaning CMOS and CCD sensors
Keeping your DSLR camera clean is very important to keep it in good shape for a long time. A blower is very helpful in removing the specks and grits off of your camera before wiping it with a soft cloth.
DSLR cameras have a built-in cleaning mechanism, but this can’t keep your camera clean at all times. This makes it ideal to invest in a sensor cleaning kit that you can use to clean your camera, especially after an outdoor shoot.
Actually, the sensor cleaning does not have to be fancy. A pack of sensor cleaning swabs and a small bottle of sensor cleaning fluid is enough. Just make sure that you are buying products that shreds.
Important DSLR Camera Accessories 8: Reflector
- Easy to Use -- Within Two Comfortable Grips on The Reflector, Allowing You to Use it with Just One...
- Portable -- Folded Size Only 15in, With a Portable Case, Suitable for Travel or Storage. Suitable...
- Durable -- Multi High Quality Layer and Raised Grain Design. Which Make this Reflector Service Life...
- Multi-function -- 4 Color Cover and Translucent Panel Fit to Different Needs of Photography. Helping...
- Support Environmental Protection -- Multi Layer Design Also Saving 80% pigment loss than Ordinary...
A reflector is one of the most important DSLR camera accessories to have to brighten up your shots and make it more professional-looking.
What is good about reflectors is that they are actually very versatile. They can either be used indoors or outdoors to fill in unwanted shadows or bounce light back onto your subject.
There are double-sided reflectors that can give you white, silver, and gold reflective surfaces, which gives you different outcomes. You can also use the white side of a reflector as a diffuser to soften strong direct sunlight.
Must Read: How to make iPhone into a security camera
Important DSLR Camera Accessories 9: Flashgun
- Fully Support TTL Functions: Support for TTL autoflash, 1/8000s High-speed sync, Flash Exposure...
- Built-in Godox 2.4G Wireless X System: Optic transmission with even illumination and stable output....
- Master & Slave Flash: Godox TT685N as master flash to control Nikon speedlights e.g. SB-900, SB-910;...
- Convenient Dot-matrix LCD Panel: With dot-matrix LCD panel to offer clear and easy operation. Use 4...
- More Functions: GN60 (m ISO 100@200mm) and 22 steps of power output (1/1-1/128). Approx. 0.1-2.6s...
DSLR cameras have a built-in flash, which is very helpful in adding a little fill-in light, but sometimes, this isn’t enough. To have better, sharper, and more detailed results, you’ll need a more powerful tool, and this is where a flashgun becomes handy.
You can mount a flashgun in the camera’s hot-shoe. You can also fire it remotely via a cable or a wireless connection. The latter is preferable.
To make things simpler, choose a flashgun that is compatible with your camera’s metering system. This way, exposure is controlled automatically.
Important DSLR Camera Accessories 10: 18% Grey Card
- MANIPULATE TONAL RANGE: Maintain the detail and capture professional quality photos with White,...
- PERFECT COLOR BALANCE: Adjust your camera's exposure and white balance setting and enhance the color...
- VERSATILE: Can be used with any DSLR and digital cameras for video and photography use.
- PHOTOGRAPHER'S MUST-HAVE: Can be used to adjust white balance during the shoot and for...
- TRAVEL FRIENDLY: The cards are compact, sturdy and lightweight, perfect for packing in small camera...
A grey card is one of the most important DSLR camera accessories to have that you can use in setting the correct white balance. Just like in anything else, consistency is the key.
But why an 18% grey card?
18% grey cards sit between the darkest shadows and the lightest highlights, which gives you the perfect white balance. In addition, neutral grey reflects all colors, allowing you to replicate your subject’s true colors.
Important DSLR Camera Accessories 11: Camera Strap
- 【SECURE & SAFE】Secure is the NO.1 priority when designing this camera strap. Anti-falling...
- 【DURABLE & COMFORTABLE】Made of reinforced durable material. Anti-slip Neoprene pad distributes...
- 【ADAPTABLE & ADJUSTABLE】20.8 in to 31.5 in adjustable quick release strap with neoprene shoulder...
- 【UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY】This camera neck strap is heavy duty and support a full size SLR and...
- 【COMPLETE SATISFACTION】Please don't hesitate to contact us via Amazon message system if at any...
If you don’t carry a lot of equipment every time you shoot, using a camera bag can be annoying. On the other hand, handholding can be very tiring at times, making a camera strap a great way to keep your camera close to you when you need it. This also keeps your camera more secure.
Actually, the main purpose of a camera strap is to distribute the weight of your camera. This also makes your hands free so that you can use them whenever needed.
When choosing a camera strap, choose the one that is sturdy enough, not unless you want to break your camera. Also, choose what the most comfortable option for you is.
Important DSLR Camera Accessories 12: Extra Batteries
- ❀STANDARD COMPATIBILITY: LP LP-E10 Battery meets or exceeds the OEM Canon LP-E10 Battery. Works...
- ❀Long Cycle Life: LP LP-E10 rechargeable lithium-ion battery can charge and discharge 300-500...
- ❀100% SAFETY: LP LP-E10 Battery has overcharge protection, short circuit protection, high...
- ❀PORTABLE: Made of ABS material, light and durable. A small backup battery can be carried anywhere...
- ❀SERVICES: 30 Days Free Refund & 1 Year Free Replacement. Lifetime Service & 24H Promptly and...
Your DSLR battery can last for a few hours or days, depending on how you frequently use it. Using the built-in flash consumes more battery life. The same goes for burst mode shooting and constant LCD screen.
A battery is good for a short time only, and it takes a few hours to charge. What if your battery runs out? Will you still wait until it is fully charged? Isn’t that a waste of time?
Extra batteries are one of the most important DSLR camera accessories to have to keep you going all day round. With it, you don’t have to worry about missing the most important events.
Must Read: 10 DSLR Cameras for Underwater Photography
Sure, your DSLR camera is already powerful, but adding accessories to make the results more stunning is even better. Regardless if you choose the cheaper or high-end ones, what matters at the end of the day is that you are satisfied and the results are satisfactory.
Always be smart enough in buying the most important DSLR camera accessories. Remember, these tools will help you get the most out of your camera.
How do I store my DSLR camera when not in use?
You can store your DSLR camera when not in use by placing it in a sealed plastic bag with a moisture-absorbing desiccant. This is very important to keep your camera protected from humidity, which can affect not just the lens but the entire camera.
Is DSLR better than a mirrorless camera?
It depends on your needs, but generally, mirrorless cameras are lighter, more compact, but with fewer lens choices and accessories. On the other hand, the advantage of DSLR cameras is the great number of lens selection alongside an optical viewfinder that works better in low light.
Photo Video Lounge is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc.